Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Freshly Cut Grass

Today, while on my lunch break, I drove by the city workers who were mowing the grass. I knew what they were doing before I even got near them because I could smell the freshly cut grass. Its totally cliche to say I love that smell, but I do.

Once again, I instantly thought of my mamaw and the summer days my sister, my cousin Aaron and I would spend at her house while our parents worked. Her house is on a small slope and the yard is at the bottom of that slope. So, we call the yard "the bottom". Pretty clever, huh? We'd play in "the bottom" for hours. We'd roll around until we were covered in dirt and grass stains, but it was always so much fun! And I loved the smell of the grass as my Uncle Jackie mowed while we were out there.

Her house is back in the woods, so there are a ton of trees everywhere! Behind the house is a hill that has three huge apple trees. We didn't spend much time under them because of snakes, but we loved laying underneath those trees! I can remember riding on the riding lawn mower with my older cousin Kevin under those trees. Mamaw was so upset he took us on that thing! Then there was peach tree beside her house and two chestnut trees that stood between her house and the bottom. I hated when those stupid chestnuts fell onto the ground. I can't think of how many times I was running barefoot and stepped on them. Those thorny things hurt! If you aren't sure what I'm talking about google it, you'll see why! haha! She also had a snowball tree that was absolutely gorgeous. I loved playing with the petals when they fell to the ground. They were so soft!

When I was nine, my parents cleared off some land next to mamaw's. I loved living next to her! And what makes it even more special, is now my (future) children and Emma will get to play in the same yard I have so many memories in while playing at their mamaw and papaw's.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful memory to have. It is awesome that your children will one day do the same thing. And your name for it? Ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freshly cut grass brings back sweet memories of childhood for me too!

    ReplyDelete