Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Hello 24 Weeks!

This past Saturday (3/20) was my 24 week mark....my pregnancy is now considered viable! Yay! I was so excited because I had had such an easy time thus far! I think I spoke too soon! haha! I started getting what felt like menstrual cramps around Friday afternoon. They lasted all weekend, but I just thought they were normal and didn't think too much about it. Yesterday morning they started about 7:30 or so and didn't let up. I e-mailed my doctor, thinking she'd just tell me to drink more water or rest. When she said I needed to come into Labor and Delivery as soon as I could, I got really nervous! I worked the rest of the day and went in around 5:30. When I got there, they hooked me up to the monitors to measure for contractions and get the boys' heart rates. They said my uterus was irritated, which meant I had either been contracting or I was going to soon. They checked to see if I was dilated, which I wasn't. They said I was dehydrated with a minor UTI and that's what was causing the braxton hicks. Not fifteen minutes later, the contractions picked up and were harder than they had been. It was so scary seeing that number rise on the monitor! They hooked me up to an IV with fluids and an antibiotic and then ended up having to give me a shot to stop them. I almost passed out twice! I don't know if it was the heat, the needles or what, but I was freaking out. The contractions stopped not long after they got me calmed down and they let me leave around midnight. Luckily, the contractions never caused my cervix to change, so the doctor is confident it's the dehydration and UTI that caused them. I'm keeping water with me at all times and just relaxing today. I go for a follow up tomorrow afternoon!

The whole time all of this was going on, the boys were moving like crazy! They did not like those monitors and kept kicking them. They finally took the monitors off because the boys kept moving away from them and they were practically useless. They did get a good reading in the first 30 minutes or so, so they felt it was okay to take them off. I was so scared and just kept telling myself everything was going to be okay. I was so relieved when they told me I could come home!

I had planned on doing the little survey at the end of this, but that turned out longer than I thought! Maybe I'll do it tomorrow? :)

Regardless, here's my 24 Week Bump Picture. I'm in lounge clothes and I'm not wearing any make-up because I had spent a lazy day w/ my sister and Emma! So, overlook that part! ;)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

3 comments:

  1. Adorable pic!
    And I'm so glad you and the boys are ok! What a scary time you had! Hopefully you won't be back to L&D for a while :) Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness! how scary! I'm so glad everything turned out to be ok with the boys. You look so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear everything is ok. On another bright side, you look adorable.

    ReplyDelete