Thursday, April 8, 2010

BAM!

I've decided that the next time we have $20 to spare, I'm going to buy a BAM! discount card. Sad, isn't it? That I have to set aside $20 to buy something! I went in there tonight to buy a bookmark because I was tired of using flimsy pieces of paper that I constantly lose. I found a really pretty one that has an Asian look to it with a quote from Confucius.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

I found it rather inspiring. There are so many things I want to do in life, but I can't just sit around and say I want to do them. I have to actually take that first step toward my goals. No matter how scary that first step may be, if it's something you really want in your life, the outcome will always be worth it!

So many times I've thought I needed to do something, but I always talked myself out of it. I'm a creature of habit and the slightest change just throws my whole world off its axis. Take going back to school, for example. Sending that first e-mail to the graduate coordinator (or taking that first step) was scary. I just kept thinking I've been out of school too long for this or I'm not smart enough for this or this is too big for me! While this won't be a piece of cake, it will be worth it when I officially have my M.A. in History! While it isn't a huge campus, ETSU is a larger campus than where I went for undergrad. The day I met my advisor, I was freaking out because I didn't know my way around. I just kept saying "I shouldn't have came alone, I shouldn't have came alone." And thats another thing. If I have a friend around me when I'm going to be around a ton of people I do not know, I'm okay. I'm still somewhat self-conscious, but I'm still okay. However, take that friend away and I'm a mess! For the first two years of college, I had every class with my best friend, Priscilla. Once we got into our majors, we were separated and I was terrified. Once I was in my classes and was settled in, I was okay. It's just that first step that was hard!

So many of us are going through some big changes in our lives and we're all scared! However, we don't need to be! You have to take a chance at something, or take that first step.

Well, this was supposed to be a blog about the perks of a BAM! Discount Card, but turned out to be something entirely different. Isn't that what journals/blogs are for? For you to write down what's going on in your head? If you don't have one of those cards, I suggest you get one. The cashier had me talked into it, until I realized I have things to buy for one of my best friends' wedding. If you're an avid reader, the $20 will be worth it!

I'm off tomorrow, so hello three-day weekend! The weather has cooled off a bit, but regardless, I'm spending my day indoors to start on Spring Cleaning. Jealous? I know, I know.




2 comments:

  1. That first step IS the hardest- life is really scary sometimes, lol, but you're right, once we get settled into our new surroundings, everything turns out to be just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are pursuing your goals! It is hard to take that first step. I have all sorts of first steps I need to make, but it's so hard to get motivated sometimes.

    ReplyDelete