Sunday, April 11, 2010

When I Grow Up...

I can't ever remember a time that I didn't want to be a teacher. Okay, scratch that. Now, that I said that, I can. My last year in undergrad, me and the hubby (boyfriend, at the time) had broken up. I was one of those girls who always, always had a boyfriend and I was always known as so and so's girlfriend. I never really formed my own identity. I liked what they liked, I did what they did. We had been having some problems and I just felt like our lives were going in opposite directions. He didn't want college, I planned on attending Grad School. I wanted to travel, he was content on staying here in SWVa.

Anyway, I digress. When we broke up, I went through the phase that me and one of my friends (who was going thru it with me) called our "rebellious, finding ourselves" phase. That time was one of the best times of my life. I had it in my mind I was going to go to school until I received my Ph.D, travel the globe until my doctors told me I was too old to fly anymore and then retire in a big house with a ton of cats. And I hate cats! I wasn't sure if I wanted to be a teacher, so I didn't do my internship for teaching. And although I was told that it wouldn't hinder me once I started looking for teaching jobs,  I can't help but feel that it has. The state certified me to teach anyway, so I'm thankful for that.

Anyway, so here I am, two years later and no teaching job. We all know I'm frustrated and discouraged about this. So, here lately I've been thinking about alternative career options. Bank Teller is definitely out. A stay-at-home-mom would be ideal, but I just don't see that ever working out in our favor. I love to take pictures, but there are so many photographers in our area, it would be hard to build a big client base. I love party/wedding planning and have definitely tossed that idea around. Once again, this isn't a big area and it would be hard to make money with it. Me and a friend of mine have mentioned starting our own daycare. Once again, not a lot of money to be made.

But, that's the one thing I keep going back to the most. I worked in a daycare/preschool enviroment for six years and I loved it. There was a time that I was extremely stressed and I shouldn't have been working around children. I switched from the daycare to the preschool and I was fine. That is the one thing that I take pride in and I can say that I'm good at. I love children and I love working with them. They make life so much fun.

If only the economy was different. Maybe one day...

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there sweets...I never thought I would be a SAHM...and here I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I can so get to be a blog stalker, too, so you'll be hearing from me lots!

    But, I'd never planned on teaching until I got a call one day last year. I think that it'll happen for you; you've got a knack for this. :-)

    ReplyDelete