Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Morning Chuckle

Yesterday evening, I was watching the national news and they were talking about the Americans who are donating to Haiti. They were telling different stories, but the one that stuck out to me was about the University of Kentucky Basketball team. Through "Hoops for Haiti", the team has raised $1 million for relief efforts. And to give them recognition, President Obama called them yesterday to thank them. The first thing I thought was, "what are the conservative fans going to say about this?", but I dismissed it b/c that was me assuming things. Yeah, right. Sadly, UK lost their game last night. Until this point, they were undefeated. So, what do I see this morning on Facebook? Two different people blaming UK's loss on Obama's phone call. Good grief.

However, I did see something sweet on the news last night. This couple was already in the process of adopting a 5-year-old from Haiti when the earthquake happened. They went to get the little girl from the orphanage, but when they were leaving, she and her best friend both were having a hard time leaving one another. They returned to the US, but this was still bothering the parents. So, what do they do? The file to adopt the little girl's best friend! The US and Haitian governments have already let them bring her home because of "humanitarian parole". They showed a clip of the little girls playing football in the backyard and they were having so much fun! I love seeing stories like this. It makes you realize there is still good people in this world!

I've seen a lot of support for Haiti relief efforts, but I've also seen a lot of criticism. Critics are saying that we should take care of those here in our country first, before we take care of those in Haiti. Also, they're upset about the money the government is spending because we're so far in debt with it. I straddle the fence on this one. Seeing the pictures of the devastation and those people who are homeless, my heart breaks. It makes me even more grateful for what little bit I do have. I've actually thought of donating $10 or $20 to UNICEF, but I haven't done it yet. To me, if you want to donate money, that's your business. Its your money and if you can afford to do it, go for it. Every little bit helps! But, I can see where the critics are coming from. Its a very difficult situation.

 Its supposed to snow a lot again this weekend. I know I've said I'm ready for Spring, but I'm actually looking forward to this snow. I'm in a really bad mood this week, so I'm ready to be snowed in w/ my sweetie. I do want it to hold off until late late Friday night. I want to go hear FSR play! haha!

Well, I hope you all have a good day! :)

2 comments:

  1. Justin and I are two polar opposites on this situation. I say 'donate donate donate' and he says 'where were they when Katrina happened?' - so I completely get what you're saying here.

    Personally, I think those that can give should give (i.e. celebrities and other rich people, as well as everyday Americans that can spare the extra $10). I know our economy is in the toilet and we're in desperate need of help here in America ourselves. But the difference between Haiti and America (in a situation like this) is the fact that even without foriegn help we were able to support ourselves after events like 9/11 and Katrina. Haiti would be ruined, completely lost without outside support. They need it more than we do.

    But it is a hot topic right now, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Kentucky on coming up with that fundraising idea! Great job to everyone who donated to the Haiti relief efforts. Haiti could really use every dollar that was raised. Recovering from a catastrophic event like the earthquake will take several months, if not years.

    ReplyDelete