Friday, January 29, 2010

Ding, ding! Round 2!

We're in for yet another blizzard this weekend! I'm looking forward to it though. I just don't want to lose power or another tree fall on my parents' house! They still haven't gotten it fixed from the last time!

Kevin and I had to go to the store last night on our regular shopping trip. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be! They were almost out of milk and some of the shelves were a little bare, but we didn't run into the crowd. We stocked up, put gas in my car and we went home to gather the candles, blankets and flashlights. Just in case. The one thing I didn't think about was all of our frozen dinners. Since being on the diet, we've been buying Lean Cuisines and SmartOnes like crazy! If the electricity goes out, I really don't want to set them all outside. It'll be pretty easy for those darn cats to get into them!

I know people are tired of the snow and the cold. But, to me, this is what Winter is all about! Its about running to the store when snow is in the forecast, its about bundling up in peacoats, scarves and toboggans! Its about being out of school for a snow day! Growing up, I loved when snow was in the forecast. Mom would pick my sister and I up from mamaw's after she got off work and we'd run to the store w/ the rest of the town. Mom would always get us pizza snacks, pizza and all kinds of junk food to have while we were snowed in. The sky was always cloudy and gray, but the snow hadn't started yet! We'd go home and when we'd pass mamaw's house, she'd have her coal stove going and smoke would be coming from the chimney. Mom would always say that you could tell if it was going to snow or not by the way the smoke was rising. There's a house next to our townhouse now and they're constantly burning wood. When I see the smoke, it makes me think of mamaw's house and the snow! Mom would fix us something to eat, we'd prepare for school the next day, just in case. But, usually around 9:00 it had started snowing and mom would say "well, no school tomorrow!" And 9 times out of 10, she was right! We'd play outside the next day until we were numb! One time, mom bundled us up so much that we looked like the little boy from The Christmas Story! haha! The snow was almost 2 feet deep and I remember getting stuck in it! Dad had to come dig me out. Whit and I still laugh about that. One time we were sledding and we tried to put our puppy on the the sled with us. Now, that was funny. That poor dog flipped out! Needless to say, he never came around us and our sled.

What about you guys? What is your favorite childhood memory from snowdays?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED sledding when I was little. I moved to Florida when I was 10, so I only got to experience it for a few years!

    ReplyDelete