Wednesday, December 9, 2009

New name, new look! :)

I meant to post this last night, but I couldn't find my camera! :)

Yesterday after work, I went to the Social Security Administration to change my name. I'm legally Mrs. B! :) I dropped my middle names and my maiden name is now my legal middle name. When I was little I couldn't wait to get married and switch my name so that I could be linked with my hubby! But, as I got older and I learned how the tradition of taking your husband's name began, it turned me off from changing mine. I mean, it was basically a property transfer! You were no longer your father's property, but your husband's, so you had to change your name to show it. Gah.

During the year or so that Kevin and I had broken up, I was sure I would never get married. I was ready to be that independent, well educated, college professor that grew old alone. I'd travel the world until my doctors told me I was too old to get on an airplane and then I'd retire in a big house w/ tons of cats (even though I despise them). I thought that, even if I did get married, I'd keep my maiden name...still show my independance! And even after we got back together, I thought for sure I'd keep it still. But, as time went on , I thought what's the use? I wouldn't pass my name on to our children, and I definitely wouldn't join the two names w/ a hyphen b/c my name is too long. So, I decided to keep it as my middle name. Still keep that tie w/ my parents somehow!

After that, I ran by the DMV to get my new driver's license. I didn't even think about a picture, so I had my hair pulled back in a pony tail. And to top it all off, they won't let you smile. Grrrreat.

When I got home Ashley cut my hair. I love it! :) It's shorter than what I thought, it's completely okay with me! My ends were so damaged and dry from not getting trims and from high lighting it so many times for the wedding. It feels so much better now! :)

Here are some before & after pics for your viewing pleasure! Enjoy! :)

The back of my hair, before. :)



The back of my hair, after. :)



The front of my hair, before. :)





The front of my hair, after. :)



1 comment:

  1. I love the hair! It's not too short at all - after our wedding, I went drastic and cut almost 6 inches off! I'm not a fan of long hair (and neither is Justin, thank goodness) so I was so happy to see it go! I've alwasy been all about the name changing thing - and I dropped my maiden name completely. My first and middle names are more important to me (since they represent my grand-mothers) than my last name! Plus, I was so excited that Justin, Sidney & I have the last name!

    ReplyDelete